Sunday, October 26, 2014

Imagine!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)

While sitting at a banquet for our church's stewardship campaign, I was overwhelmed.  This is the place where my husband and I got married.  This is the place where we stood up twice in front of the congregation and promised to raise our babies to know God.  This is the place where my husband was baptized and publicly proclaimed that he is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  This is the place where I feel loved every time I walk in the door:  from the first time Todd and I ever came more than twelve years ago to today when people are lining up to give me hugs.  (Okay, there was not actually a line, but I still got several awesome hugs tonight from people who are just genuinely glad to see me.)  This is the place where our kids have learned more about God's love than most people I know.

This is the place where I have really learned about God.  Whether it be through Ken's sermon on Sunday mornings or Bible fellowship with any number of quality teachers or other in-depth studies, I love that I am always pointed back to my Bible.  These people explain things to me and help me understand what the Word of God says, but they are quick to have me check it out for myself.  

This is the place where we have developed countless relationships.  People who enjoy hanging out with us. People who love our kids.  People who guide us and teach us with their wisdom.  People who challenge us to grow and become more like Christ.  People who  I know I could count on in the toughest of times.

I am overwhelmed with the blessings we receive from being part of this awesome church.  Even now, I have tears in my eyes as I think about it.

Now, it is our turn.   We have been asked to invest in the kingdom of God here on earth so that He can further expand what He is already doing through our church.  And I have to think, "Why wouldn't we?" When I look at what He has done for our family, I want that for other people in our community as well.  I want people who don't know God, or who don't know Him well, to have that same opportunity that we have had.

Todd and I prayed about this opportunity separately for quite a while before we discussed it together.  When we did talk about it, God had clearly heard our prayers.  We each had a number in mind that was almost identical to the other.  It is not an easy or safe number.  It is one where we are going to have to stretch to make it, but we are convinced that this campaign is that important.  

Right after we made our decision, we found out that Todd's insurance is going up quite a bit.  The same amount as the part of our commitment that was already coming from faith alone.  I know the thought crossed both of our minds that we could cover the insurance by backing off the commitment, but we are not going to do that.  God will provide.

God is working on me even more.  He is challenging me alone to give beyond the number that Todd and I agreed on.  With the way we budget our money, we each get a bit of discretionary money every month.  With that, as well as extra things I do like tutoring or crocheting, God is challenging me to give an additional "unsafe" amount to the campaign above and beyond what Todd and I are giving together.  God will bless the work of my hands.  I know He will.

I hear Him calling, "Trust me, trust me, trust me."  I don't know how it will work, or what it will look like, or what sacrifices we will have to make along the way.  But, then again, if I knew all that, it wouldn't really be trust at all.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment