Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Team Spirit

During the last three or four weeks, I have watched more baseball than I have in the last twenty-nine years combined.  I was definitely caught up in watching the boys in blue give it their all in the playoffs  and the World Series.  It stirred something inside me to watch my hometown boys doing so well, especially after so many years of not doing well.  Of course, I would have loved to watch them win Game 7, but it was fun to watch either way.

So how do you choose a team?  I seem to have chosen my favorite teams by location.  I enjoy watching the Kansas City Royals and the Kansas City Chiefs because that's where I grew up.  I also will root for the Missouri Tigers since that is where I went to college.  Of course, I am still loyal to the Lee's Summit High School Tigers too.  (The original Lee's Summit High School, that is.)

My husband is a Green Bay Packers fan.  He chose them because it was different.  They are a good team, and not many people in central Missouri follow them.  He is not a bandwagon kind of guy; he follows his own path.

It was interesting to watch the kids choose their teams during the World Series.  Hannah decided by watching me.  She chose her team as the Royals because she could tell it was important to me.  Love that about her.  Seth chose his team because San Francisco starts with "S," the same letter as his first name.  He has his own way of thinking about things.  Love that about him.

Last week we had a day where we got to wear our "team colors" to school.  I was agonizing over what to wear.  I just wasn't feeling the Chiefs jersey or the Mizzou black-and-gold that day.  I was lamenting that my new Royals shirt hadn't arrived in the mail yet.  Finally, I decided that I would wear a shirt from a teacher skit a couple of years ago.  I know it's cheesy, but that shirt represents my favorite team.  I love the group of teachers I get to work with on a daily basis.  I am happy there.  I am accepted and respected.  They are friends that are there for me. They make me laugh.  They support me.  They encourage me.  It is a great team to be on!

When Hannah saw my shirt, she wanted to know why I was wearing it.  I explained how it was my favorite team.  After I said all that, she just shrugged and said, "I'm on God's team."  Then she walked out of the room.

I'm on God's team.  Four little words, and she nailed this team thing better than I ever could.  God's team.  Makes me wish I had a T-shirt for that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment