Monday, January 19, 2015

Wake Up!

This morning I woke up alert and ready to start my day.  No grogginess, no gritty sand feeling in my eyes. No difficult transition from sleep to awake.  One moment I was asleep, and the next moment I nearly jumped out of bed.

This morning I woke up hungry.  Hungry for the Word of God in my life.  Hungry to spend time with Him and see what He has to teach me today.  Hungry for his presence.

I am not, by nature, a morning person.  I don't go bounding out of bed the second the alarm goes off.  It usually takes me a while for my brain to catch up to the fact that my body is no longer sleeping.  It is a common occurrence for me to sit straight up in bed when the alarm goes off.  I usually sit there for a moment or two, trying to find the motivation to get the rest of the way up.  In fact, I have been told that I am not altogether pleasant, and it is a good thing that I get up an hour and a half before the rest of my household.  

As I drifted off to sleep last night, I prayed one of my favorite prayers.  "Dear God, would you please wake me in the morning before everyone else gets up? Would you wake me when the house is still quiet so we can hang out together for a while?"  Yes, those are my words.  I asked God if I can hang out with Him.  Hanging out implies a closeness, a familiarity.  When I hang out with friends, it doesn't really matter what we DO; what matters is the quality time together.  I don't have to come looking like I have it all together.  I just come as I am, flaws and all.  And we talk, and we laugh, and we enjoy being together.

That is how I approached God's throne this morning.  I just wanted to hang out with Him, my Savior, my friend.  I came without any pretenses about who I am.  I just wanted to spend time with Him.  Quality time where we enjoy being together.

I believe that this kind of request is honoring to God.  He wants to spend time with us too.  He wants us to spend time with Him.  He has so much to say if we can just carve the space in our day to clear the distractions and just read, pray, and listen.

And God is faithful.  Every single time I have asked God if we could hang out,  He has answered that prayer.  He wakes me up without an alarm clock.  I am just instantly awake.  There is an energy within me that can only come from one source.  I couldn't go back to sleep, even if I wanted to.

He doesn't wake me up at the same time each time.  And it is never the same time that I normally get up through the week when I do use an alarm clock.  I am always amazed at His timing.  I get up.  I spend my time with Him.  And as I feel like our time is wrapping up, I start thinking about other things I could do while it is quiet in the house.  And then I hear little feet padding down the hallway.  God planned this out to the very minute that one or both of my children would wake up.  I love that about Hm; I find it both amazing and amusing.

So this morning, on my day off, I am up early.  VERY VERY EARLY.  God woke me up so we could hang out today.  And it has been great.  No matter what happens the rest of the day, I have spent time with the One who made me.  I have made that relationship a priority today.

I challenge you to try asking God to wake you up sometime just to spend time together.  I think you will be pleased with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment