Saturday, October 1, 2016

Silence

Silence.

That brief and fleeting moment in the morning when I am awake and no one else is.  My house gets pretty loud sometimes.  I have only two children, but sometimes they can make a cacophony that rivals a jumbo jet.  I love them to pieces, but it sometimes seems like all of life is done at forty decibels or more.

Especially my darling daughter who will nearly yell, "But this is my quiet voice!"  She once told some friends that she has three volumes: Loud, Louder, and Loudest.  Oh dear.  She summed it up pretty well;  that was a pretty good self-assessment.

So I really enjoy a few minutes here and there of silence.  That is why I get up at 5:00 every morning.  So I can have a few minutes to get my thoughts together.  I just need that little bit of silence every day to get myself going.  

This time in the morning is when I read my daily devotion, when I work on my Bible study that I am leading, and sometimes even when I write.  I cherish the silence, but it's not actually silent.  This is when I spend some quality and (sometimes quantity) time with my God.  I need the silence in the house to be able to hear His voice.  He guides me and directs me through His word, through a prayer, through a new thought, a nudge to reach out to someone.  This is when I might write an encouraging note or send someone a text of a verse that made me think of them.  

I really need this time every day, and I can always tell in the outcome of my day when I don't take the opportunity for it.  This space of time when the house is peacefully sleeping is really important to me.

Silence really is golden!

No comments:

Post a Comment