Saturday, October 17, 2015

Fearfully and Wonderfully...a Reading Teacher

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Your works are wonderful; I know that full well."
Psalm 139:14

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgn4czKtuD9goGuUAUk6ZiSLl0IGmsloRPvtCDui9Fqzt21PdvtZ0rwhPXxac3k44tDJnbeP1Tr8EwpnOxCVesPSlAyVPaNGc_lPR_ysWgvegoES38maRq7Kjxh9y04WzFS5_11FY3kgzAh/s1600/school_clip_art_151.jpg



I have always loved words and all things related to language in general.    I learned to read before I went to kindergarten.  As the story goes,  I had a favorite book that I wanted to hear over and over.  (I am still quite fond of The Best Nest, and I bet my mom can still recite parts of it.). One day when I was four, I brought my mom the book and said I would read it to her this time.  My mom listened and thought I surely had memorized all the words.  She thought it was cute.  Later that same day, I brought a different book--an unfamiliar one--and read it all to her.  And that was the beginning...

I vividly remember one day in first grade.  I looked up at my beloved teacher, Mrs. White.  I thought, "Teaching people to read must be a lot of fun.  I think I'll do that when I grow up."  For many, many years, I thought I was going to be a first grade teacher.  That was before I knew about the specific position that I have now.

I have tried some other career avenues in the past.  Some were more successful than others, but none of them fit just right.  When I walk into work each morning, I am thankful to be in a place where I get to do what I love.  And I really do love it.  It brings me a great deal of joy and personal satisfaction to see students be successful where they haven't believed it to be possible.

I have a lot of long days.  I have a lot of stressful days. Every day is a busy day--I teach 10 classes every day (more if I tutor).  The pace I keep every day can best be described as hectic.  I have learned to be very, very efficient with my planning time, but  I still often feel like I am running a marathon at a sprint pace.

Despite all of that, I believe God has given me a set of skills and a passion for this job.  I think I am pretty good at it too.  Not every day is a great day, but I feel like my career matches up with who God designed me to be.  My profession matches my God-given purpose, and that is deeply rewarding


Who am I?  I am fearfully and wonderfully...a reading teacher!





No comments:

Post a Comment