Friday, October 16, 2015

Fearfully and Wonderfully...a Writer

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Your works are wonderful; I know this full well."
Psalm 139:14

I am a writer, and I always have been.  Strange as it may sound, I just recently recognized this aspect of my identity.  I mean recently...like three weeks ago.

Searching for something in the storage room, I stumbled across a basket of binders and journals.  Inside those were pretty much every polished piece of writing I have ever done.  From the most ridiculous and nonsensical stories I wrote as a young child to papers I wrote for my Master's Degree, it was all in there.  That is when it dawned on me.  I am a writer!

I smiled as I realized what I just internalized.  Here I am, getting ready to embark on a 31-Day Writing Challenge for a blog that I have been doing for more than a year, and it just now occurred to me that I am a writer.  I just now picked that up as a piece of my identity.

Whether it be a project or assignment for school or a journal I kept of private thoughts, I have always found it therapeutic and a bit cathartic to fill a page with hand-written thoughts.  I am at this moment typing my thoughts, but my preference has always been to write with a pen first.  It just feels better that way, and the thoughts flow more easily for me.  (Plus, I have an obsession with brightly colored pens.)

I don't always make time to write.  It is easily pushed aside.  But I always enjoy the feeling of having something written.  (I think Virginia Woolf was the first to express that thought.)

Anyway, that moment when I was thumbing though my ancient writings was an eye-opener for me.  God has been preparing me all along to be a blogger and share my stories about how He works in my life.  He gave me a love for words.  He put several good teachers in my path that helped shape my writing.  I took a writing class abut ten or twelve years ago that helped me find my voice.  He prodded me to start using all these things to share in a blog.  And then he prodded me some more when I didn't get it the first time.  (If you want to read how I came to be a blogger, refer back to these two posts:  So I'm a Blogger and Call Me Jonah.)

Whether one person or fifty read what I post, this is some of the most satisfying writing I have ever done.  I feel like I am being obedient to what God wants me to do, and that is a very good feeling!

Who am I?  I am fearfully and wonderfully a writer.  Yeah, I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment