Thursday, October 8, 2015

Psalm 139:6--The 31 Day Challenge

"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."
                                  Psalm 139:6

I do not know everything.  My children ask me questions all the time that I cannot answer.  Questions like:
 "Why do cicadas sleep for seventeen years?
"What if there was a hurricane so big that it knocked our house down?  
(Hurricanes are not that much of a worry in the middle of the Midwest, but they asked me anyway.)

"Would it be weird if there was a tornado inside a tornado inside another tornado?"
"Why do some daddies not have any hair and some daddies have lots of hair?"
What are power lines for and how do they work?"
"Why does she get invited to so many birthday parties and I don't get invited to any?"
"Why does it have to rain today?"
"Why does 8 come after 7?"


Some of those I have a rudimentary knowledge, but not enough to be able to explain it in kid terms to my children.  If I know the answer, I try to explain it.  (Ever tried to explain male-pattern baldness to a six-year-old...while driving?)  If I don't know the answer, I will probably say, "I don't know, but we can Google it later."  

A lot of times my answer is "Because God made it that way."  Sometimes that feels like an easy way out, but it's true.  I do not have any idea why cicadas sleep for that long, but I know the One who knows the answer. I use that time to keep pointing my children back to God.  He is the Creator.  He has a divine purpose in everything He makes.  Even though we do not always understand or be able to explain, God has a plan and a purpose.


Picture from cdn.morguefile.com


I have always heard that a bumblebee should not be able to fly.  According to the laws of motion, aerodynamics, gravity or whatever, a bumblebee's body is out of proportion to its wingspan.  Logically speaking, its body is too heavy to be carried by the short wings.  But it flies anyway...  A testimony to God's design and beauty.



I actually love that I do not know all the answers.  Our God is so powerful, so creative, so full of wisdom, that I can rest on faith that He knows the answers that I do not.  He created everything, and He knows why certain things are the way they are.  I do not have to know all the answers or try to control everything.  "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."

No comments:

Post a Comment